Saturday, February 27, 2010

Turkey Meatballs

I do enjoy spaghetti and meatballs. It is so simple but again something that I don't add to the rotation to often, more of a good backup plan in a pinch. And on that I have played around with a few recipes always feeling like they are missing something. So tonight I made a great meatball. A few of my old favorites all combined. Yum!

I made a LARGE batch- I feel with these, may as well go big so we can have leftovers. So now happily in my freezer are about 16 meatballs already and rolled for another nights dinner.


Turkey Meatballs, My Way

Prep- 10 minutes
Cook - 20 minutes + simmering time
Serves - this will make about 30+ average sized meatballs

2 lbs ground turkey, I used 1 lb light and 1 lb dark
2 eggs
1 bunch parsley, chopped very fine
1/3 cup milk
2 slices bread
2 tablespoons tomato paste
5 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper

option- ricotta cheese. I would add about a 1/2 cup. I love ricotta and wish I had some when I was making these. They would just add some more awesomeness to these awesome meatballs.

Add 1 tbs of olive oil to a skillet. Saute your onion and garlic. While sauteing add a good heaping teaspoon of salt to your onions. That helps them sweat.
While those are sauteing about 5-7 minutes go ahead and soak your 2 slices of bread in the milk. You may need a bit more milk- but you want the pieces to to be "covered" not soaking. Give those a good 4 minutes or so in the milk.
While you are sauteing and soaking go ahead and start tossing all your other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
When you onions are done, give them a few minutes to cool down then add them.
Take your bread, gently squeeze out any excessive milk. Then crumble your bread up into your bowl too.

Now get to mixing. You can try doing this with a spoon, but really what's the point. Get your hands in there and mix it good.

Turn oven on to 400.

Get a baking sheet and start plopping meatballs. You can put them pretty close together because it's not like they are going anywhere.

If you want to freeze some too get a plate out and fill up your plate. I stuck the ones for the freezer in my freezer on the plate for about 15 minutes to firm them before putting them in a freezer bag.

Once your baking sheet is as full as you would like them throw them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Now, I simmered mine which I will explain in a second- if you plan on doing this I would say pull them out even if they aren't "cooked" all the way because you will be cooking them more. If not doing it this way cut one open and make sure they aren't pink and are cooked all the way!

If simmering go ahead and get your sauce ready and water on for your pasta to boil. Place meat balls in your pot with your sauce and get the heat on a medium-low. I simmered mine in the sauce for about 30 minutes.

I served these over whole wheat spaghetti and a loaf of homemade Italian bread!
It's amore!

No comments:

Post a Comment