Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Dads Vegetable Soup, made my way!

My dad isn't the cook in the family, that would be my mom. Pictured below:



My mom after I had Rosalee, See the apron she was here cooking for me!
Also photographed is my brother Trey also an amazing cook and my niece Lulu!

She cooks, she cooks and she cooks some more. I always loved watching her cook and to this day I still do. I can just stand there much like a fly on the wall and watch how she cooks no matter what it is I enjoy it!

My dad on the other hand he doesn't cook, he writes poetry and watches football except when it comes to a few things. One being his pasta sauce that has whole eggs, chicken thighs and entire sausages in it. You wouldn't believe how unbelievable that sauce is. I never appreciated it until now as I am in the kitchen wondering how he did it. He went vegan which is great but with that he stopped making his sauce and that isn't great. And his vegetable soup. Ahh, this I did pick up and mainly because I called him a few months ago and asked. This he told me what to do and I ran with it, when I ask about his sauce he just says umm ya a little of this and a little of that.

Pictured: A few of my favorites!


My Dads Vegetable Soup Made My Way

prep- 20 minutes
cook- 2 hours
serves- A lot

2 tbs butter, optional or vegan butter (Earth Balance) if you choose

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 medium onions, diced

4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

3 large carrots, cut into bite size pieces

3 stalks celery, cut each into 4 strips and chop

4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped - You can use what ever potato you have on hand

1 turnip, peeled and chopped

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped

4 cups vegetable broth

1 bottle of v8, SPICY

2/3 cup frozen vegetables, optional I like green beans, corn peas in mine

Get out your large pot. Add butter if using and olive oil to your pot keeping heat medium low. Once those are melted and hot add your onion, give it a good stir. Throw in your garlic and a nice big pinch of salt. Let those guys keep cooking while you are getting rest of you vegetables together. Keep your heat low, not to burn your stuff but enough to keep things cooking. I love that smell, onions and garlic. yum.

Add celery and carrots. Stir them good letting them cook for a few minutes.



Add potatoes and turnips. Stir them good letting them cook for a few minutes.

Add the cabbage, ok you know what to do.



I let that all cook for about 15 minutes, sauteing them all together, making them happy.

Now your pot is going to be really full of vegetables. Almost to the top of your pot. I like that.

Add your broth. Go ahead now and pour in the V8 until your pot is full. Now I simmer this for a little while, an hour or so.



Ladle into big bowls and enjoy!
I served this tonight with some stir fried tofu and a loaf of garlic parmesan focaccia bread!

To my dad! Love you so much and thanks for all that you have taught me!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog already! I have never been much of a cook, for one it's almost too much trouble but now that I have way too much time on my hands, I cook, or try to. I will be watching you! Your family has always had amazing family dinners so I know I will learn a lot. Love veggie soup but can it be frozen and stay good? You are amazing and love you bunches!!! ;-)Rita

    ReplyDelete