Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Buffalo Tacos w/ Homemade Tortillas

I love tacos. I am not sure why I don't add them to the menu more often. Sometimes I get so wrapped in the new recipes, literally I think sometimes I spend hours looking for recipes! Yikes! So in my quest for some familiarity tacos were added. Buffalo tacos, because they are yummy. I am also making guacamole and homemade tortillas! Oh my, I am hungry now and dinner is still 6+ hours away!


Ok so I am trying homemade tortillas and am really looking forward to it!

Buffalo Tacos-

lets get real. I am a mom. A mom with a tiny baby. Ok well she isn't so much "tiny" as she is little, cute and oh so cuddly. So my buffalo tacos consisted of: 1 lb ground buffalo and 1 packet of Simply Organic Taco Seasoning! and there you have it ladies and gentlemen - Buffalo Tacos!

Next up Homemade Tortillas

Simple, few ingredients and so good. Don't you love when you make something from scratch for the first time as to have always buying it at the store and you are like WOW! That happened to me again. I love that when that happens.

Tortillas

prep 5 minutes, plus 20 for rolling balls out
cook 15 minutes
makes 12-15

3 cups all purpose flour, I used a hearty stoneground flour
6-8 tbs shortening, I would use 8+ tbs shortening and maybe only 6+ of lard. I used shortening and definitely imagined how different the flavors would have been with lard
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 - 11/4 warm water

Mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Add in shortening and mix well with a pastry cutter ( I am not a "gadget" person, but I love my pastry cutter) Cut it all in and mix well. Go ahead and roll up your sleeves a bit and starting adding water- SLOWLY! I think I used just a little over a cup. Mix it really well. Feel free to flour your hands good so you aren't so sticky. You don't want your big ball to be over sticky.
Next roll the big dough ball into 12-15 smaller balls.
Let those sit for at least 10 minutes but longer is fine.
Now for the fun part...
Lightly flour your work space and rolling pin. They actually make cute tortilla rollers, of course. But I don't have one of those so I just pulled out my big old wooden rolling pin. Actually I let my 8 year old do most of this. But when rolling it out I needed to take over.
Take it slowly. You want them to be thin, but that also makes them able to rip easier. I would roll one way, turn it over and roll the other way.
Ours were all sorts of shapes. I think we had a heart, a rectangle and no circle anywhere!
Get your skillet nice and hot. Throw one it at a time, unless your skillet it big enough to fit two.
I would say it takes close to 1 minute on each side. I watched for those little brown spots to show up. Flip and watch for more little brown spots to show up!
I had a plate with a kitchen towel and hid them in there, except the one that went in my belly until dinner was ready.

YUM!
I will say the thinner ones were more taco like. The ones that didn't get so thin reminded me of flat bread.

That is it for now! I will try to add photos soon and will also be posting my yummy guacamole too!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment