Sunday, February 14, 2010

Basic Roast Chicken for my Valentines!

Ahh, Valentines Day! A day for lovers, friends and family! We don't really "celebrate" it but I do use it as an excuse to make an extra special dinner AND a reason to ask for my one treat that I LOVE! Lake Champlain Chocolates! Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels! WOW! These make me happy. I savor every one. Goodness these are good!



One thing I love to cook is a basic roasted chicken. After talking to many mamas about roasting a chicken and how simple it is, I found out that many don't know how to do it! I can get 2 meals out of a roasted chicken which makes it even better!

So for Valentines Day, I am making an Herb Roasted Chicken, Roasted Vegetables and a Chocolate Coconut Pudding!

Here is one of my valentines, my boy Camden. He keeps me on my toes! He likes to talk, draw and is an excellent big brother!


He likes my chicken too, so that's a good thing!

Basic Roast Chicken


prep- 15 minutes
cook- 1.5 hours
serves- easily a family of four

1 Roaster or Fryer Chicken, 3-4 lbs
Salt and Pepper
3 - 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
Olive Oil
2 tablespoons butter, optional
Dried Herbs, I like thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary is yummy too!
1 Apple or Lemon, Optional

Pull out any parts that are on the inside, I toss them others may use them for stock etc. Rinse you chicken good under cold water. Pat dry and put in your pan, breast side up. I use a glass dish, nothing fancy.
If using an apple or lemon go ahead and stick it right in the birds rear end. Yep, stick it right in the booty of the bird! This will help keep your bird moist and tender and give it a nice little flavor. No need to cut it or anything just stick it right in.
Take a knife and cut 2 slits in each of the breast and stuff your garlic in there.
If using butter go ahead now and rub it all over your bird.
Take olive oil now and drizzle it on top of your chicken. This will help your herbs stick and produce a nice crispy skin on your chicken.
Salt, salt, salt! So good Salt and pepper your chicken really good. Again I use the Celtic Sea Salt! yum!
Sprinkle your herbs on really good. I just shake each one all over my bird, on at a time until the top of my bird looks nice and covered. Probably about 1 teaspoon of each.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Yep, no need to preheat your oven. I have actually heard that it doesn't matter to preheat unless you are baking. So wait to turn it on until you are ready to use it!

Stick your bird in the oven. Bake it for about 1 -1 1/2 hours. It will bake for about 20 minutes per pound. I normally watch for my legs to start to pull apart from the body and clear juice to run out if I pierce it! Let it rest for about 15 minutes before cutting it!

AND don't throw that carcass away- tomorrow Chicken Noodle Soup!




Here are my other Valentines! Jimmy and Rosalee Sage!

1 comment:

  1. So yummy looking, I will have to try that. Rosalee looks cute, did you knit those pants?

    ReplyDelete