Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fantastic Shrimp Friday!

Well, today has been semi productive. Lets see, I broke one of my favorite bowls, I burnt a batch of graham crackers and my back is in some serious pain. Woohoo. But on a positive note I have these pull apart rolls rising on the stove as we speak. Some of my favorite friends are also chopped for tonight’s dinner. Ahh and I forgot pictures tonight because it was just that kind of day! Hope you enjoy this dish!

Sauteed Shrimp in a Ricotta Parmesan Sauce with Peas

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, sliced

1 lb pasta, I normally like shapes but this sauce is good on fetticune

1 lemon, will need just a squeeze

Parmesan Cheese

2 tablespoons butter

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tub of ricotta cheese, my favorite is the amazingly creamy and so delicious ricotta made in Vermont

1 cup of frozen peas

1 cup of chicken broth

1/2 cup of pasta water

Shrimp, enough for your family. I say that because tonight this meal is going to feed 5 people and I am defrosting about 15 shrimp which are large enough to cut in half. This dish can be made with what you have on hand.

Go ahead and put your pasta water on. In a large skillet put butter and oil in and melt together. Add onion and garlic and a nice pinch of salt.

My favorite salt...

Ok there, a picture. I needed a picture and well it is my favorite salt. I actually just made some peanut chocolate chip cookies I then topped off with this salt! YUM!

Ok Ok back to the pasta. I like the heat medium as I am sauteing, a little lower if you are as absent minded as I am sometime and doing 12 other things.

Saute those until your onions are nice and limp. Next I threw in a few cherry tomatoes because they needed to be used up. I sauteed those in with my onions and next put in a nice big squeeze using half the lemon.

Add shrimp and saute. My shrimp were cooked so I just needed them warm.

Add your peas now. Pasta should be done so go ahead and drain, reserving some water.

Ok, so here goes the rest of this yummy dish.

Add you pasta to your skillet, if it is big enough. If not put pasta back in pot and add the sauteed veggies and shrimp to the pasta pot.

Add your chicken broth, keeping your heat on low. Add pasta water.

Stir it all up, I use a pasta fork or spoon or whatever that big pasta thingy is and another big wooden spoon to help.

Now, get out that yummy ricotta cheese and add about half the container, I would say that is about 3/4 cup to 1 cup. Stir it all around really nice, adding more broth/water to get it to a nice consistency that isn’t so thick.

Plate it, eat it, love it.

We love this dish, I love the ricotta and that splash of lemon that makes me want spring even more. I do believe that lemon really livens up the dish and quite often add it to many of my pasta dishes for a little more love!

Needless to say everyone here loves this. We had friends over who brought a salad, vanilla bean ice cream and apple pie! It was quite a feast we enjoyed tonight!

xo

rach

No comments:

Post a Comment